LoRaWAN Certification – Frequently Asked Questions
LoRaWAN certification program was announced on 10th of November 2015. We’ve learned that there is a remarkable interest among LoRaWAN community to get the products certified. Hence, we’ve released a FAQ to help the community with the most common questions.
- Question: Why should I certify my product?
Answer: LoRaWAN certification ensures interoperability and compliance with LoRaWAN networks. It also entitles to use LoRa Alliance Certified logo.
- Question: Do I need to be member in LoRa Alliance in order to certify my LoRaWAN product?
Answer: Yes, only LoRa Alliance members are entitled to use LoRa Alliance Certified logo.
- Question: What kind of LoRaWAN devices can be certified?
Answer: Currently the certification program is for Class A devices at EU region 863-870MHz band. Certification program for Class B, Class C and Gateway devices has not yet been opened. The certification program for regions that do not use EU ISM Band is also still under development. However you may contact Espotel if you are interested in pre-certification testing for devices that do not yet have a certification program.
- Question: What is the LoRaWAN certification process with Espotel?
Answer: The LoRaWAN certification process with Espotel is as follows:
- Contact Espotel for a quote. We can guide you through the whole process.
- Prepare your product(s) for certification. We can guide you through these requirements.
- Fill in the certification questionnaire. The questionnaire is available from LoRa Alliance.
- Send your product to us. It should be ready for Over the Air activation or already personalized.
- We run the certification tests and send you the results.
- If test passed, either we or you can provide the results to LoRa Alliance
- If test failed we will give you the diagnostics and help you to fix the problem. Then follows a retest (step d. again).
- Alliance reviews the passed test result and announces the LoRaWAN certificate.
- Results and basic product information are released on LoRa Alliance web page. This can be delayed if a certain product launch date is requested.
- Question: What is included in the LoRaWAN certification service?
Answer: Full guidance through the LoRaWAN certification process. The certification testing includes test diagnostics and instructions for corrections in case your node fails. Also a single retest round is included in the price if the node fails.
- Question: What does the LoRaWAN certification testing test and what does it not test?
Answer: The LoRaWAN certification testing tests for end node functionality, in other words it tests that node’s LoRaWAN protocol stack and application are compliant with the LoRaWAN specification.
The certification does not cover radio performance. Radio performance includes things such as the radiated power, radio sensitivity etc. These are key parameters for good performance when signal strength is poorer. This also something where Espotel could help you. For a network operator it would be useful to set minimum acceptable performance requirements for nodes. This would ensure that end customers get the best possible network coverage. If you are a LoRaWAN network operator, we could help you to setup end node requirements. If you are an end node manufacturer we may perform performance testing for your nodes.
- Question: How long does it take to run the LoRaWAN certification tests?
Answer: If you book a time for certification and provide us the end node, we will deliver the test report within one weeks’ time from the booked date.
- Question: Is regulatory testing (CE/FCC) required prior to LoRaWAN certification testing?
Answer: No, regulatory testing can take place before, after or at the same time with the LoRaWAN certification testing. Espotel can also help you with the regulatory approvals, so that you get a full turnkey solution for your testing, certification and regulatory approval needs.
For further details, please contact Espotel LoRaWAN Certification Testing product owner:Jouko Nikula
Tel. +358 52 42 372